Preston Brook Station

Opened in 1837, initially without platforms(!), by the Grand Junction Railway, and surviving until 1948 for passenger use, this country station’s closure finally came in the late 1950’s. Two platforms were added by the 1870’s with typical single storey buildings on either platform. The station master’s house still exists as a private residence but all other evidence has been swept away by the electrification of the West Coast Main line in the 1970’s.

Preston Brook was an interchange point initially for goods between the two canals, later the LNWR  had sidings and goods interchange facilities here.

For a short time, there was a siding connection from the signal box at Norton station on the BLCJR Chester to Warrington line that curved across the fields to reach the Norton Warehouses on the Runcorn branch of the Bridgewater Canal. This, as with the LNWR sidings at Preston Brook, allowed for the transhipment of goods. After gaining running rights over the BLCJR, the Shrewsbury and Chester Railway was authorised to build this line in 1852.

The line to Norton Warehouses

There is a lot more information available on the Disused Stations website here.

See also: