Townships

Daresbury

Daresbury

Ring O'Bells and Sessions House Visitors to Daresbury often ask how to pronounce the name of the village, so for anyone wondering, local people say ‘DARS’ to rhyme with ‘CARS’. The name comes from the Anglo Saxon DEOR’S BURGH, meaning Deor’s st...
Hatton

Hatton

Hatton is not strictly a village but rather a hamlet as we do not have our own church. First records note in 1230 that the hamlet was given by Geoffrey, son of Adam of Dutton, to William, son of Hothy of Hatton and has historically comprised farms...
Keckwick

Keckwick

Although not mentioned in the Domesday Book, Keckwick was a small village under the control of the barons of Halton from at least the start of the 12th century. It was a farming community and the lower ground would have benefitted from seasonal flooding...
Moore

Moore

There has been a township in Moore for at least 850 years. Roger de Lacy, the 7th Baron of Halton gave the township to his brother, Richard, sometime during the reign of Richard 1 (1157-1199). Ricardi de la Mor (Richard of Moor) granted the first...

Newton-by-Daresbury

  Read more:
Preston Brook

Preston Brook

Preston Brook was born on the old Roman road between Chester and Warrington. The hamlet of ‘Preston- on- the- Hill’ first appeared in medieval times, which has been interpreted as ‘Priest Town’ and was thought to have been a satellite to Norton ...
Sandymoor

Sandymoor

The civil parish of Sandymoor was created in 2008 from a previously unparished area of Runcorn. Before the current housing estates were built, it was sparsely inhabited, being an area of farmland and marsh. Both Oxmoor and Sandymoor Woods appear on...