Runcorn Road, the village shop and Bridgewater Canal
Runcorn Road, the village shop and Bridgewater Canal

There has been a township in Moore for at least 850 years. Roger de Lacy, the 7th Baron of Halton gave the township to his brother, Richard, sometime during the reign of Richard 1 (1157-1199). Ricardi de la Mor (Richard of Moor) granted the first charter for a ferry across the Mersey to his son, Wgoon.

The village has always been a farming community, with each farm having land on the marshes and also the drier ground around the village itself. Root crops and cereals were grown and there was a thriving dairy industry. Cheshire cheese was made until the opening of the Bridgewater Canal in the 18th century meant that the milk could be sold directly to markets in the Manchester area. Early potatoes, which grow so well on our sandy soils, also found a ready market there. The village was self sufficient in that it had all the necessary tradesmen to meet the needs of its people.

Today the area continues to be farmed. The population is around 1000 and most people work outside the village in the surrounding towns. The village has a thriving school, pub and shop and the Milner Institute, Scout Headquarters and Rugby Club provide a focus for much of the village’s social life.

Read more: