Thomas Done

Thomas Done was born on 17th November 1875 in Hatton, the son of William Done (born in Stretton) and his wife Betsy (nee Harrison) who was born in Barnton.

The 1881 Census showed five-year old Thomas living in a cottage in Hatton village, with his parents and his siblings John (20), who was a general labourer, William (10) and Samuel (3). The father was a brickmaker.

Ten years later, Thomas had left home. At the age of 15 years he was a servant in the employ of James Saunders at Owl’s Nest Farm in Hatton.

Sadly, in 1895, Thomas’ mother died, aged 58 years.

By 1901 Thomas was residing with his widowed father, William, on Greenside Lane in Hatton. His father was now a brick and tile manufacturer and Thomas was a bricklayer’s labourer.

On 21st January 1903, Thomas married Margaret Maddock (from Hatton) at Daresbury Church.
Sadly, Thomas’ father died in 1905, aged 65 years.

By 1911, the couple were living in Hatton and Thomas was still working as a bricklayer’s labourer. They had four children: Bessie (7), Eva (5), Clara (3) and Thomas (11 months). They also had an adopted child, Annie Maddock (10), who was a member of the extended family. Later that year, a son John was born, followed in 1913 by a daughter, Margaret. Unfortunately, she died two years later. In 1915 Elsie was born, followed by Doris in 1917 and Alfred in 1920.

On 27th November 1915, Thomas attested at Warrington to join the Great War. He was 40 years old and resided at Greenside Cottages in Hatton. However he was not called up until June 1918, when he joined 59th Company of the Inland Waterways and Docks section of the Royal Engineers. He was 43 years old and medical category B1. He was given the rank of Pioneer and the regimental number 338163. The I.W.D.R.E. worked alongside the Railway Operating Division at the port of Richborough near Sandwich in Kent. A major harbour had been built there as Dover and other nearby ports were inadequate. The train-ferries at Richborough provided the British Expeditionary Force in France and Flanders with tanks, guns, railway locomotives, horses, ammunition and fuel. After the Armistice the train-ferries were used for their return.

Thomas was demobilised in March 1919.

According to the 1939 Register Thomas was living at 43, Goose Lane in Hatton, with his wife Margaret. He was employed as an estate labourer. Elsie and Doris were earning their living doing domestic day work and Alfred was a cowman. There were three others whose identity was closed. These may have been younger children.
Thomas Done died two years later, in 1941, aged 65 years. Margaret died in 1958.