This fine building no longer exists, but the Morphany estate has a very long history. The first record dates from 1285, when an agreement was made between William de Morthwayt and his father-in-law, Hugh de Derisburi, promising to provide him with board, clothing and lodging for life.
It was the home of a succession of (mainly) well-to-do farmers and gentlemen until its demise in the early 20th century and eventual demolition in the 1930’s. The black and white manor house itself dated from at least the 17th century and was sited on Morphany Lane.
The Starkey family lived there at that time and there are some wonderful letters written between Elizabeth Starkey and her friend, Lady Shakerley, who spent some years in London when her husband was an MP. Elizabeth sent produce from the Morphany estate to her friend – wine, cheese and live fowl. In return she received fashionable clothes which she loved – stays to match her black, satin petticoat, chamois leather gloves, ribbons and a ‘pair of ruffles suited to the head’. They exchanged thoughts on the hiring of maids, worried about measles and commiserated with each other about colds and toothache.
In 1844, the estate comprised 1.5 acres of woodland, 40 acres of pasture, 14 acres of meadow, an orchard and 18 acres of arable crops. These were probably ‘Cheshire acres’, which equate to 2.1 acres in today’s measurement.
The last family to occupy the farm were the Cawley’s in 1922. After that it appears to have been unoccupied, fell into disrepair and was eventually demolished.