Daresbury Parsonage

Although there has been a church at Daresbury for nearly 1000 years, a parsonage only came in 1819 after a lot of hard work!
It was first proposed by Reverend Joseph Blackburn in the late 1770s. The man was by then in his late 70s and finding it increasingly difficult to attend to his parishioners in a timely fashion from his house in Warrington.
Daresbury was quite a poor living, and in 1738 it benefitted from the Queen Annes Bounty scheme following Blackburn himself donating £200 to the benefice. A further £200 was provided through a legacy left by a benefactor named Mr Smith, helping to secure a larger and more sustainable income for the parish.
However, building a parsonage was still not a cheap project, and by the time Reverend Blackburn died in 1787, there was still no house for the incumbent.
This state of affairs continued until 1819, when Reverend Robert Fletcher finally succeeded. It was constructed in a remote location, off Morphany Lane in Newton by Daresbury, which his successor claimed was deliberate because he was being shunned by his parishioners!

The parsonage allegedly “burned down during a vacant period” in the mid 1880s and the site was stripped bare, causing difficulty when archeologists came to investigate the site prior to the creation of the pocket park that stands there today
Constructed by local builder Thomas Haddock for the sum of £1275, it was double fronted, 2 storey building with a semi circle fanlight over the door and an ornamental porch. Although it looks rather small from the photographs, it had 7 bedrooms, 2 sitting rooms, 2 kitchens and a study, and a reception room that was turn to a schoolroom by Reverend Dodgson in 1827.
The house was L-shaped, and built around the outside well.
It was a glebe farm and intended to be self sufficient, so also constructed were a shippon for 4 cows, stables, a gig-house with the laundry above.