Samuel Basnett b1887

Samuel was born in the 2nd quarter of 1887 in Stockham, Runcorn, (now Murdishaw).

He was the 6th and youngest child to Thomas and Ann Basnett, nee Houghton. Sam’s siblings, in age order, were Priscilla, Eda, Thomas, James and Daniel.

The 1891 Census shows father Thomas as being a farmer on Summer Lane in Newton-by-Daresbury.
By 1901 mother Ann had died and the family was now living in Runcorn, father Thomas being a tanner’s labourer. Priscilla and Thomas have left home. James is a brick-makers labourer whilst Daniel and Samuel are general labourers.

In early 1911 Sam married Mary Ellen Smith from Runcorn and the 1911 census shows Sam as a canal porter living at Norton Villa, Norton.

In December 1912 Sam’s father Thomas died.

In WW1 Sam served from 1914 to 1920, originally as a gunner with the R.G.A.(Royal Garrison Artillery) No. 24241. Sam later became a Lance-Corporal in the Military Foot Police No. P 14342 MFP. Sam was awarded the British War Medal for his services.

“In 1914 the Corps of Military Mounted Police and the Corps of Military Foot Police had a total establishment of nearly 5000 men. During the retreat from Mons, The MPs were busy dealing with soldiers who, through exhaustion or the general confusion of battle, had either lost or become detached from their units. By operating straggler posts, the MPs were able to return soldiers to their units. The work undertaken by MPs was not all carried out behind the lines and sometimes they came under heavy fire. During this conflict the Military Police suffered 375 casualties.

In 1936 Sam became a member of the newly formed ex-servicemen’s club.

Sam died in the district of Runcorn in June 1967 aged 80.

Sam’s Wife, Mary Ellen Smith.

Mary Ellen Smith was born in 1870 in Fleetwood. She was also the 6th child to Simeon and Elizabeth. Her father Simeon was a trawlerman.

In 1881 Mary was at school and living with her Uncle and Auntie in Lytham, Lancashire.

In 1901 Mary was a domestic servant in ’Westby with Plumpton’, Fylde.

Mary died in September 1950 in the district of Runcorn.