Ernest Edward RidgwayErnest was the youngest child of John Clare Ridgway and his wife Annie Maria, and the brother of John Herbert(b.1875) and Mary Frances (b.1877).He was baptised at St. Mary’s, Great Sankey, on November 14th 1878, and was brought up and educated in Southport.
In the 1891 census the Ridgway family was living in Birkdale, a few doors away from the Roberts family, and some years later, in 1904, Ernest married Pauline Lizzie May, the daughter of the family, and they came to live at Ivy Cottage in Moore.
They had two daughters, Joan and Diana, both baptised at Daresbury church, and when his father John died in 1907, Ernest brought his family to live at Daresbury Lodge with his mother and sister, and carried on the family business as a slate and timber merchant.
In 1900 he had been made a 2nd Lieutenant in the Prince of Wales Volunteers, the regiment his father commanded, and when war was declared in 1914, he joined his regiment as part of the Army Service Corps. He was made Captain, and served in Egypt and Palestine for most of the war.
Ernest served as a county magistrate, sitting on the bench at Stockton Heath for many years. He went to live in Kingsley near Frodsham, and according to his obituary in the Chester Observer, his interests included hunting, and fly fishing and shooting, which he enjoyed in his later years.
He died in London in December 1948, and is buried in the Ridgway family grave at Daresbury