Albert Cyril Sumner

Albert was born on the 17th January 1891 in High Legh and was the third of four children of John and Elizabeth Sumner (formerly Cross). His father was a farmer and had been born in Mere around 1856. His mother hadalso been born around 1856 in Stockport.

Albert had an older sister, Agnes, born around 1880 and an older brother, Arthur who had been born on the 4th January 1889 in Thelwall.

In 1890nthe family had moved back to High Legh before Albert was born.  Another brother, Rupert Percy, was born in 1893 but sadly died the following year aged only 16 months.

By 1901 the family had moved to Hale Road, Speke near Liverpool and John was now working as a teamster on a farm. Albert’s sister, Agnes had remained in Lymm and was living in the farm of George Sumner working as a servant. Albert and Arthur were still attending school.

On the 1st May 1906 Albert went to work with the London and North Western Railway Company as a telegraph operator but was soon transferred to the Police section at Dutton Station on the 7th July.

In 1911 the family were living in Preston on the Hill. John was working as a waggoner on one of the farms whilst Albert was a bricklayer’s labourer. His brother, Arthur, was working for a railway company as a clerk.

During the Great War Albert served as a private with the 8th Battalion of Cheshire Regiment (service number 34790) before being transferred to the Army Service Corps on the 27th July 1919 (service number T/455947). For his service he was entitled to the Victory Medal and the British War Medal. His brother, Arthur, had served with the Royal Engineers. Their father had died in 1916.

On the 15th February 1919 Albert’s brother,Arthur, married Beatrice Davies at St,Chrystosom’s Church, Victoria Park Manchester.

Albert himself never married and in 1939 he was living with his sister Agnes  in 18 , Walton Road, Stockton Heath. He was now working as a builder’s labourer. His mother had died in 1931 at the age of 76 years.

Albert lived in Walton Road until his death on the 29th June 1969