The black building in the right of the photograph is situated opposite the village shop in Moore. It was built around the mid nineteenth century. It was not marked on the tithe map of 1845, but is marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1882. One side provided stabling for the horse and the other provided space for the cart.
There was a platform of sorts inside so that the cart or lorry could pull up adjacent to it and the coal more easily shovelled from the barges to the bank, to the cart or lorry.
The canal was paved with sandstone at this point so that any coal that was spilt, could be easily scooped up. There was a post outside where the barges tied up, but this has recently been removed.
The first record of a coal dealer in Moore, is John Banner, on the 1871 census. His son, James, took over the role until about 1910. James was also the chapel keeper (caretaker) and lived in the chapel keeper’s house just across the road.
Frederick Speed is mentioned in 1902 and anecdotal evidence tells us that Isaac lawton and later, Walter Cartwright (another chapel keeper) were coal dealers.
The wharf ceased to be used about 70 years ago, but today there is a barge that continues to deliver coal to some boaters.