The Beeches stood on the land where the houses of Beechmoore and Hollybank, Moore, stand today. It was built in the style of a baronial Scottish mansion.
The earliest record of the house tells us that William D Houghton and his family were living there in 1864. William owned a wire manufacturing company in Warrington which employed 30 men and 10 boys.
In 1891, the house was occupied by Mr & Mrs Litton, but it was unoccupied at the time of the 1901 census. Just after this, William Sloane and his family moved into The Beeches. He was also a businessman, owning the Mersey White Lead Company in Sankey Bridges. William and his wife had six daughters, one of whom, Marion, married a professional soldier, Brigadier General Louis John Wyatt. He commanded troops in France during WW1 and was given the task of choosing the body of a soldier to represent the ‘Unknown Warrior’ in Westminster Abbey.
In 1939, Harold L Frodsham was living there. He and his wife had a son, Neville Heathcote Frodsham. He served on HMS Hood in WW2 and died when the ship was hit by German shells during the Battle of the Denmark Straight on 24 May 1941.
Julian Hutchings and his family moved into the house in 1948. Another businessman, Julian worked in the family tanning business in Warrington. They sold the house c1960, after which it was demolished and the first development of houses on Beechmoore and Hollybank were built on the site. Later, a field was purchased to extend the site and the remainder of the houses were built.